IoT: system, connection and devices
Automation and control are things people consider a necessity in digital age. Embedded computing has contributed in the process of controlled automation. Centralized control is real prospect. Most electronics could be fitted with handy embedded devices. Embedded computing devices have no real boundaries. From heart monitoring implants to RFID chips to smart washers, they have them all covered. Research suggests of a future with 26 billion such devices in 2020, which exceeds the human population manifold. Every embedded device needs an identity or a primary key for the purpose of identification. A network in place to control every embedded device can help a great deal towards automation goal. That sort of interconnected network encompassing numerous identifiable embedded devices for the purpose of computing within the internet network is called Internet of Things (IoT)
Identifying embedded devices:
Connecting devices on internet would need an identifying parameter for every device. Internet use the Internet Protocol or the IP address to pinpoint every system component. IPv4 has wide range of scope to accommodate 4.3 billion unique IP addresses. But with the growing demand, the upper limit is expected to require an increase. IPv6 comes in handy to solve all hassles and hence accommodate more devices effortlessly.
Responsible actions towards saving Energy:
Automated operation of devices could help save waste of power and energy. The kind of approach Internet of Things brings to the table is efficiently eco friendly. Usage of low power radio is the current trend, which helps reduce energy consumption. Limited use of resources for a better economy is what the current trend offers. Though it requires power to operate, nevertheless Internet of things can help control waste of power too.
Category wise applications of IOT:
- Environmental Monitoring: Monitoring air, water and soil quality monitory are made easier with IoT.
- Energy Management: Optimized energy consumption is made possible, thanks largely to actuation and sensing systems.
- Medical and Healthcare Systems: Remote health monitory as well emergency notification systems are among the many medical applications of IoT
- Transport Systems: Dynamic interaction among various components of transport systems have improved a lot.
- Infrastructure Management: Monitory and controlling infrastructure related operations have been the prime application of IoT.