For the past few years, the Network-attached storage (NAS) has steadily gained popularity because of its simple file sharing system. It is currently being implemented in many offices and the numbers growing. The NAS is a basic computer that connects to a network whose only purpose is to store files for sharing within the network. However, this article will be focusing on the open source NAS Management software currently available on the market which would be FreeNas and Openindiana.
The FreeNas is the most popular open source management software for the Nas on the market today. It has gained its popularity because it is easy to implement, easy to manage with its attractive web interface, and an overall feature-set that cannot be beat by an off-the-shelf unit. The FreeNas current version release is 8.3.0 and 8.3.1 is in beta testing, it just goes to show how steadily the FreeNas is continually developing to become more refined software.
- File sharing– SMB/CIFS, AFT, NFS, FTP, TFTP, RSYNC, SCP (SHH), iSCSI.
- Disk management– ZFS, Software RAID, “Fake RAID” Software, UFS, Ext2/3, FAT,NTFS RAID-Z
- Monitoring – S.M.A.R.T. , Email Alert, SNMP, Syslog, Remote Syslog, UPS, Web Interface, Net CLI
- Services– Bittorrent, UPnP Server, iTunes/DAAP, Webserver, Remote Replication, Snapshots, The Provisioning, 10GigE drivers, VMware Guest Tools, cron, sysctls
Openindiana claims to be the best platform available today with its features that cannot be found in any other systems. But can that alone make software the best. The users of openindiana does confirm that there are unique feature is the system but they are not familiar with the use of the system. They also stated that while it may work fine it feels out of date and falling behind. Openiindiana does have it merits where it is a fine system but it not polished.
- Boot Environments
- Role Base Access Control
- IP Multipathing
- Inegrated L3/L4 kernel mode Load Balancer
- InterGrated VRRP IP failover facility
For more details about Amvean can help you with there storage strategy please contact us at email@example.com or 212.810.2074.